GLORY 39 SuperFight Series
Photo Credit: James Law, GLORY Sports International

Sitthichai Sitsongpeenong made the second defence of his GLORY lightweight title in Brussels, Belgium but the fight was overshadowed by the news that Chi Lewis-Parry had withdrawn from his GLORY 39 SuperFight Series fight against Hesdy Gerges through illness.  

GLORY commentator Todd Grisham announced that the heavyweight bout was cancelled – following the lightweight title contest – citing illness as the reason for Lewis-Parry’s withdrawal. No further details have been made public. 

The event took place from Forest National in Brussels, on Saturday, March 25.

Despite the anti-climatic end to the broadcast, lightweight champion Sitthichai collected a strong finish over Dylan Salvador to take the win in their rubber match. It was a relatively technical start to the contest, Salvador began with a flashy jumping push kick, but it was Sittichai who inserted his presence, cutting under the right eye of Salvador.  

Both men were throwing in volume in the first round, but it was round two where Sitthichai began to showcase his impeccable GLORY form, which has seen him gain six wins under the premier kickboxing banner. 

Sitthichai started to consistency with his deadly knees, with Salvador exposing his chin, as he kept leaning his head in, getting caught by the Thai fighter. At this point, it became apparent that the Frenchman was struggling to find his range against the Lumpinee Stadium champion, jumping wildly and exposing himself. 

The official end to the bout came at 2:58 of the fourth round, when the champion forced Salvador against the ropes and landed two brutal knees. One to the liver and the follow up to the solar plexus, which immobilised Salvador, who dropped to the canvas, and was unable to answer the ten count.  

Elsewhere, It was a spectacular homecoming for Marat Grigorian, who managed to stop Anton Petrov in the second round. Grigorian, 25, began the fight, hunting down his Bulgarian opponent, forcing him into the corner, where he would begin his domination. 

With the fight being Petrov’s first in just under a year, the ring rust was visible against the much more active Grigorian, who was looking to rebound from his loss to Sitthichai at GLORY 36.

After controlling the first round, Hemmers Gym’s Grigorian, dropped Petrov with a low kick left-hand combination. The Bulgarian was able to answer the eight count but it was the beginning of the end for him.

The Armenian-Belgium fighter continued his assault and after a few more relentless leg kicks, Petrov seemingly gave up, forcing referee Paul Nicholls to administer another count, as he turned his back on Grigorian. This time, Petrov did not show any desire to continue, with the official finish coming at 1:45 of the second round, in favour of Grigorian. 

GLORY’s first-ever Chinese fighter, Qinghao Meng looked strong on the GLORY 39 SuperFight Series, dominating France’s Killian Moulun

After recovering from an early groin strike, Meng looked good, as he continued to throw his left hand and left leg against Moulun. The Tingbin Academy fighter did not throw his strikes in volume, but was able to consistently land against his opponent, utilising his superior range. 

The judges ruled the fight a split decision, with four of them scoring in favour of Meng.

Also, in a welterweight division bout, an aggressive Harut Grigorian defeated Pavol Garaj by unanimous decision. Grigorian; who trains out of the renowned Hemmers Gym, was full force from the first bell, applying the pressure to Garaj with heavy lefts and rights. 

The Armenian consistently controlled the ring, and almost knocked Garaj down in the second with a left hand followed by a knee, but somehow the Slovakian stayed upright. Recovering from a shot to the groin, Grigorian never looked in trouble and easily helped himself to a win.

Opening up the GLORY 39 SuperFight Series, 19-year-old Tyjani Beztati continued his rise up the lightweight division, by dispatching Moroccan fighter Sabri Ben Henia. Beztati – who trains with GLORY middleweight champion Jason Wilnis and Robin van Roosmalen – looked comfortable from the start, showing relentless form with his strikes.

After a strong first round, Beztati opened up the second with a knockdown, dropping Ben Henia with a right hand before sending him to the canvas once again with a strong left hand. The ending came at 2:05 of round two, with the third and final knockdown, a left knee bringing an end to the fight. 

For full results from the GLORY 39 SuperFight Series, click here.